Big D Reads Festival
In April the entire city is reading one book - The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton. Big D Reads is engaging the city to read a book together and spend the month talking about it.
Written forty-five years ago, S. E. Hinton's classic story of a boy who finds himself on the outskirts of regular society remains as powerful today as it was the day it was written. For adolescents, it’s a coming-of-age story. For adults, it’s a chance to reconnect with the odd and perilous territory of adolescents. For Dallas, it’s a chance to read a book together as a community.
The Outsiders themed literary events are scheduled all over Dallas during the month of April, including several events in Klyde Warren Park! Ideas in Bloom, the park's lunchtime lecture series, will feature a topic from Big D Reads on April 3rd. It starts at 12:15, so bring your lunch and join the conversation! Grab your free copy of The Outsiders from the book racks in the park on April 5 - 6 and come discuss the book with the Klyde Warren Park Book Club on Wednesday, April 9th at 6:30 pm. Finally, end your month-long celebration of literature with The Big D Reads Festival in Klyde Warren Park - an entire day of activities in the park!
The schedule of events is as follows:
◦ 10:30 am – Children's story time and crafts in the Children's Park. Featuring S. E. Hinton's books The Puppy Sister and Big David Little David.
◦ 11 am - 2 pm – Literacy Coalition will host various tables with activities and workshops for children of all ages on the Great Lawn.
◦ 1 pm – Author discussion with S. E. Hinton and Gray Fredrickson, the producer of the 1983 film adaptation of The Outsiders. Krys Boyd from KERA will moderate the discussion which will be followed by a question and answer session.
◦ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm – The Dallas Opera will perform Gaetano Donizetti’s The Elixir of Love — a hilarious, fully-staged one-act opera about a young man who hopes to win the heart of his true love, with the help of one Doctor Dulcamara and his mysterious potion. On the Muse Family Performance Pavillion.
◦ 5:30 pm – The Undermain Theater will perform a dramatic reading and original composition based on The Outsiders. Located on the Muse Family Performance Pavillion.
◦ Dusk - Around 8 pm – An outdoor movie screening of film adaptation of The Outsiders. This 1983 production, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, features many well known people early in their careers including C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, and Tom Waits.