Klyde Warren Park Officially Opens
DALLAS (October 29, 2012)—Klyde Warren Park, the deck park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway, officially opened this weekend with more than 50 free activities that attracted visitors from all over North Texas. Klyde Warren Park’s Grand Opening Celebration Presented by Chase and J.P. Morgan drew more than 44,000 people.
Weekend highlights included a special ribbon joining ceremony, signifying the connection of Uptown and Downtown; a well-reviewed Saturday night concert including Trombone Shorty and The Polyphonic Spree; a downtown fireworks spectacular; show-stopping dance performances from the Booker T. Washington students, and every manner of games to entertain guests of all ages.
More than 150 performers graced the Muse Family Performance Pavilion over the two-day celebration. Crowds pulled up the moveable chairs and tables around the park or lounged on the lawn.
The children’s park was particularly popular. Kids of all ages enjoyed climbing the spider web-like playground equipment and sliding down the turf-covered hills. The Dallas Morning News Reading and Games Room was full throughout the weekend with people reading books from the lending library or playing games like chess, Jenga and Backgammon. My Best Friend’s Park received an enthusiastic response from the many canine visitors.
The weekend came to a conclusion with a Sunday night screening of Academy Award-winning film Midnight in Paris. The movie’s star and Honorary Grand Opening Chair Owen Wilson made an appearance prior to the film’s start.
“Dallas turned out en masse to enjoy a sunny fall weekend that surpassed even our best expectations,” said Mark Banta, president of Klyde Warren Park. “We are the new destination for good, free fun. We hope people will bring their children and their dogs, and come out to enjoy a totally new perspective on Dallas.”
Chef John Coleman will open the Relish food truck on Tuesday, Oct. 30, bringing burgers to park guests until the restaurant and kiosk open mid-2013.
This week, the park will officially be open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. A full and most updated schedule can be found at www.KlydeWarrenPark.org. Plans for the week include:
- Monday, Oct. 29:
- 9 a.m. Zumba by the YMCA
- 12:00 p.m. Lunchtime Piano (every Mon., Wed. and Fri.)
- 12:30 p.m. Dallas Skyline Tours by the Dallas Center for Architecture
- 5:30 p.m. Boot Camp Fitness by Live Whole Be Free
- 5:30 p.m. Ballroom Dancing Class by Studio 22
- Tuesday, Oct. 30:
- 10 a.m. Stroller Boot Camp by the YMCA
- 12:00 p.m. Badminton League
- 1:00 p.m. Knitting Circle
- 5:30 p.m. Petanque Lessons
- 5:30 p.m. Yoga with Dallas Yoga Center
- 7:00 p.m. Lululemon Run Club
- Wednesday, Oct. 31:
- 11:30 a.m. Mah Jongg Lessons
- 12:00 p.m. Lunchtime piano
- 6:30 p.m. After Work Music
- Thursday, Nov. 1
- 10:00 a.m. Stroller Boot Camp by the YMCA
- 12:00 p.m. Ideas in Bloom: Crow Collection (speaker series)
- 5:30 p.m. Yoga by Bikram Yoga Dallas
- 6:30 p.m. Croquet League (weekly play) by YMCA
- Friday, Nov. 2:
- 12:00 p.m. Table Tennis Tournament by the YMCA
- 5:15 p.m. Fitness Happy Hour
- Saturday, Nov. 3:
- 9:00 a.m. Boot Camp by Andrew Odell
- 10:00 a.m. Children’s Yoga from the Crow Collection
- 10:00 a.m. Tai Chai by the Crow Collection
- 10:00 a.m. Yoga by the Dallas Yoga Center
- 1:00 p.m. Dog Training Classes by Fino’s Finest
- 2:00 p.m. Petanque Lessons
- 2:30 p.m. Dallas Skyline Tour
About Klyde Warren Park
Klyde Warren Park will serve as a central gathering space for Dallas and its visitors to enjoy in the heart of the city. The 5.2-acre deck park, designed by the Office of James Burnett, creates an urban green space over the existing Woodall Rodgers Freeway between Pearl and St. Paul Streets in Downtown Dallas. The park includes a performance pavilion, restaurant, shaded walking paths, a dog park, a children's park, great lawn, water features, and an area for games providing year round activities to all citizens of Dallas. For more information on volunteering or donations, please visit www.KlydeWarrenPark.org or call 214-716-4500.
# # #